Gluten Free Lemon Bars
If you love lemon bars, I can guarantee you’ll love these gluten free lemon bars. I’m typically a chocolate-lover, but I’m trying new recipes and getting away from my usual “go-to’s” when it comes to a little treat!
My husband is a lemon-lover (or should I say lemon pound cake lover!) and not so shockingly so is my 18 month old son loves lemons himself. I was determined to bake a gluten free lemon bar that was free of refined sugar, artificial lemon flavor and all else! These were such a hit.
Tips For The Crust
I find using my hands makes the crust form much better. Mix it with your hands then use your fingertips to gently press into the baking dish. Try not to over work it or like any crust, it’ll start to get crumbly.
Tips For The Filling
Many other lemon bar recipes call for lemon zest. That is totally optional although I did not include it. I personally find adding lemon zest makes the dish taste somewhat bitter. This is a personal preference here. If you like lemon zest or want the most out of your lemons, add 1 tbsp. of lemon zest.
You can’t really mess up on the filling, just follow the measurements and be sure to use a whisk. If you don’t mix thoroughly, your end result will look like “cooked eggs” on top, so mix well! In this recipe, you can add the filling directly onto the warm crust without having any crust issues in the end.
Benefits of Lemons
Many of you know that I am a huge advocate of lemons. They are fantastic in terms of improving digestive functioning and for stimulating digestive juices to promote better digestion.
The number one issue we see at our clinic is inadequate digestion. Faulty digestion starts right from the stomach. In many cases, under active stomach is very prominent (opposed to overactive like most people think). Typically including lemon in your diet or starting your meal with some fresh lemon water can help aid in better digestion.
If you’re looking for more gluten free and refined sugar free options, these are must try’s:
- Almond Flour Blondies
- Salted Caramel Shortbread Squares
- Collagen Almond Flour Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Gluten-Free Lemon Bars
- 1 1/2 c. almond flour
- 1/4 c. coconut flour
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1/3 c. coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 yolk
- 3/4 c. freshly squeezed lemons about 4 lemons
- 1/2 c. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, mix together all the crust ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Press the crust ingredients into the baking dish. Use your fingers to press down evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden.
- While crust is baking, mix together all filling ingredients. When the crust comes out of the oven, place filling directly on top and spread evenly. (The crust can still be hot - it's fine for these!)
- Adjust the oven temperature down to 325F and bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow it to set once removing from the oven.
- Let it cool and enjoy!